Friday, August 17, 2012

FIVE QUESTIONS WITH... Patti Larsen


Award winning, independent author Patti Larsen has a serious passion for YA paranormal and thrillers. Now with multiple series in happy publication, she lives by choice on the PEI with her patient husband and four massive cats.

Smoke and Magic (Blood and Gold #1)
Banished to Victorian London

“Auburdeen Perneila Hayle,” Sassafras hissed, the amber glow from his cat eyes growing until the front of the wicker cage shone with it, “you will do whatever you can to behave yourself, to not embarrass me or your mother and to absolutely under every circumstance maintain a firm hand on your horrid temper.”

My anger simmered. Yes, I had a temper. And yes, it had taken me into situations in the past that perhaps I shouldn't have been part of, situations that usually devolved into fistfights and incoherent yelling at the offender. He should be grateful I always kept control of myself enough my magic never came into play. Except that one time. But it wasn't my fault. Not really. And the offender recovered. Eventually.

Auburdeen Hayle is the sixteen-year-old daughter of the next leader of her coven. When the transition of power becomes tense, Burdie is sent from her home in America to stay with old friends in London to keep her safe. But a handsome young man chooses to hide from the police in her hansom, drawing Burdie into an underground world of magic that challenges even her sense of adventure and puts her at odds with the very people who are meant to protect her.

Links: Goodreads l Website l Facebook l Twitter l Amazon l Barnes & Noble

FIVE QUESTIONS: 
1. Why did you choose to write a book in the Young Adult genre? 

I spent my formative reading years neck-deep in hard core fantasy and science fiction, thanks to my avid reader father. Oddly, I didn’t read any young adult until I was about twelve, when a friend suggested I try one of her Nancy Drew mysteries. In that moment, though it took me years to realize it, I’d found my genre. That book was the trigger, the moment I decided I wanted to be a writer. But I resisted young adult, writing in the more familiar fantasy and sci fi, until yet again I was told to read YA, this time by my niece, who handed me a copy of Harry Potter and insisted I read it.
           
It was like a light bulb turned on in my head. And within a very short time, I found myself hearing the voices of teenagers who refused to be silenced. I just wish I’d listened to my twelve-year-old self ages ago!

2. Who is your favourite character you have written and why? 

This is actually an easy question—my favorite is my first, Sydlynn Hayle, the main character of Family Magic (Hayle Coven Novels). She woke me in the middle of the night shortly after I rediscovered YA and badgered me to get up and write down what she had to say. I finally did, and I’m so glad. The teen daughter of a powerful witch and a demon lord who only wanted to be ordinary has dominated my life since then. And while she’s allowed me to wander off and write other character’s stories from time to time, her twenty-book saga is never far from my thoughts.

I adore her snark, her sense of humor, how she’s never really aware of how powerful she is. She’s flawed but perfect at the same time, just wanting to fit in but only doing so when she finally accepts who she is. When she cries, I cry. When she makes a joke, I snort water out my nose. I recently had her tell me how the series ends and spent the morning sobbing as I jotted down everything she told me.

Yeah, I’m a little attached.

3. Describe a typical writing day for you? 

I’m a super organized person and tend to log everything into my day planner well in advance. I usually get up around 8am and spend from then until about noon on networking and marketing. After lunch, if I’m writing a new book the rest of the day is devoted to that—anywhere from 4-8 chapters depending on my production schedule. If I’m not writing, I’m either editing the book I just finished or outlining a new series or the next set of an existing series. Pretty straight forward—lots of butt in chair, chocolate and pauses for cat scritches to keep me balanced.

4. What are you reading at the moment? 

I’m currently reading two marketing books and the updated version of Forbidden Mind from Kimberly Kinrade. The first two are for work and the third strictly pleasure J

     5. If you turned your ipod on now, what would be the song that is currently playing?

I’m embarrassed to admit I don’t own an iPod or a cell phone. And I don’t listen to music when I write, preferring total quiet. But, I do love music when I’m not working, so you’d likely hear something from Pink, ABBA or Taylor Swift. I have very eclectic tastes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...