Monday, April 21, 2014

REVIEW: Breathe Into Me by Sara Fawkes

How did my life get so broken?  It’s a question Lacey St. James asks herself every day. Stuck raising her little brother in a trailer park while she works a dead end job at a grocery store, she has a stalker exboyfriend, a bad reputation, and no way out.

And then she meets Everett, whose presence changes her entire existence.

Everett is an outsider to her small community, in town for the summer housesitting one of the grand mansions off the Mississippi coast. When he saves her in a bar one night, she’s grateful but wary of his intentions. Lacey doesn’t trust most men in her life, but for reasons Lacey can't understand, Everett is completely captivated by her. He’s determined to show her that life can offer more than she’d ever hoped for, if only she believes in herself. As she works with him to free herself, Lacey desperately yearns to trust him, to move on and perhaps start fresh.

But what happens when she finds out that everything he’s told her about himself was a lie?



My Thoughts:


My life was nothing but a huge lie, one big hellhole that never ended. I was tired of perpetuating it, allowing it to control me and my decisions.

Lacey St. James comes from a broken home and a dysfunctional family. She lives in a trailer park with her mum, who is drunk more often than not, her Grandmother, who is abusive and violent and her younger brother, who she adores. She has a sometimes bed partner, Macon, who is also abusive and has violent stalker tendencies, no real friendships to speak of and a reputation for being easy. Then she meets Everett, and he makes her want to be a better person. But will Everett lies rip apart their happiness and their future?

I had such high hopes for this book, but unfortunately, I found myself skimming through pages on quite a number of occasions. I just couldn't handle spending any more time with Lacey. I didn't feel any connection to her whatsoever. From about the seventy percent mark things picked up a bit though and I did manage to struggle through to the end, but it was definitely a tough road.

Frustrated and in desperate need of help, I did exactly what I swore never to do.
I keyed in Macon's number and pressed send.
A big part of me prayed that he wouldn't pick up, that it would go to voice mail and I wouldn't have to speak with him. Unfortunately, Macon picked up on the second ring.

Lacey's thought processes were just bizarre at times. In fact, I found her whole life bizarre. Maybe I didn't understand the reasons for all the dramas in her life because at times I didn't read every word on every page, but I really don't think I missed any great insights. In regards to the plot twists, I felt that there was just too much drama in Lacey's life to make it believable. 

Everett was a likeable enough character, but I didn't fall in love with him. His secrets were also rather pointless to me. I didn't really see why he had to hide these things from Lacey. Yes, his past had some horrible things hidden away, but honesty could have saved a whole lot of angst.

As far as the romance went, I just couldn't wrap my head around why Everett was attracted to Lacey. It seemed like any time that they spent together was full of all of her drama's. It was just one thing after another and then the next minute they are declaring their love. The romance followed all the normal processes but somewhere along the way I just failed to connect with their feelings.

The authors writing is actually really good. Unfortunately there just wasn't anything that hasn't been done before to make this stand out for me.

2/5 Stars.

Copy received from the publisher via NetGalley.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...