Saturday, June 22, 2013

REVIEW: Destine (Watcher's Trilogy #1) by Katherine Polillo

Michelle Cross is an average, seventeen year old girl growing up in a small town in New Jersey. Up until her senior year, her life has consisted of a rather unglamorous existence. Her closet friend Cami has been by her side since kindergarten, she has a loving if somewhat absente father, and a mother who is unique to say the least. Michelle’s mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia when she was twelve years old, and ever since then she has had delusions of angels and demons battling over her only child. Michelle accepts her mother’s delusions as schizophrenic ramblings, until a handsome new boy finds her at school. Little by little Michelle’s world is turned upside down. The new boy claims to be the Archangel Gabriel cast from heaven, her best friend falls for the Antichrist, and come to find out Michelle’s mother has seen it coming all along. So instead of being consumed with prom and graduation, Michelle finds herself battling the evils of Hell in her small town. The four horsemen of the apocalypses have descended on her high school and with the help of Gabriel, her very own angel; she must stop the events leading to the apocalypse. What surprises Michelle even more than her role in saving humanity is the love that develops between Gabriel and herself. Can their love bridge the world between heaven and earth? Can Michelle stop the powers of Hell in time? Michelle and Gabriel find themselves the pawns in a very dangerous game between an ancient power with a mysterious message and Satan himself.

Book Links: Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Smashwords

My Thoughts:

It started with a boy, doesn't it always? Well two boys to be truthful, one sent to help save humanity and one sent to destroy us all.

Well, I've done it again. I've had a book sitting on my TBR pile for a good ten months before I found the time to read it. And really a book this awesome shouldn't be sitting around waiting for me to get my act together, it should have been read and enjoyed so much sooner!!

Michelle and her best friend Cami have been friends since Kindergarten. Not popular and really going unnoticed by most of the other kids in high school, they at least can always rest assured that they have each other. Michelle's home life is far from what most kids her age have. Her father spends most of his time at work and her mother, whilst there in body, her mind is a different story, having been diagnosed with schizophrenia after she started having delusions of angels and demons. Then the new guy at school Gabriel tells her that he is an angel cast from heaven and she is the one that humanity will look to too fight evil and save them all. 

Every other guy in the room suddenly looked like a boy compared to the man standing in front of me. And those eyes; it was like staring into the clearest, coldest water, and I wanted to let myself drown.

I'm a real swooner. I can't help it. I adore my book boyfriends. And this book has a doozy!! Gabriel is beautiful in body and soul. He is beautiful in mind and heart. Loving, caring and protective it was impossible not to love him. 

For you and I have just met, and already I would sacrifice everything to keep you safe.

But in saying that, I think I have a bit of a girl crush on Michelle. She was just all things awesome!! She had the most incredible sarcastic whit that I absolutely loved. She was fierce and strong, loving and caring. But then she had a sweet vulnerability. She didn't cry at the drop of a hat and the few times that she was brought to tears they were completely warranted and justified. She experiences so much in this book and her growth was amazing. The Michelle we meet at the beginning of Destine is shy and timid compared to the Michelle that he have by the end of the book yet she still maintains all the goodness that she had at the beginning.

He kissed me as if I was the very air he needed to breathe, the very gravity that held him to the ground, and the very reason for life itself.

Didn't I tell you that he was swoony? The romance between Michelle and Gabriel was beautifully executed and I could really feel their deep love and connection. It definitely wasn't instant and progressed as you would expect when there is an attraction between two people who are spending time together.

"I loathe killing the ones that simply whimper and cry in my presence"

The action really escalated throughout the book. Whilst there is no real cliffhanger, the story is by no means all neatly wrapped up and the ending sets everything up perfectly to continue the journey in the next book. Katherine Polillo's writing was spectacular. For me there were no dull points or periods when the story was lagging at all. I was completely engrossed all the way throughout. 

So if angels verses demons and good verses evil is your thing, or if you love a strong female protagonist then Destine is a must read for you. 

5/5 Stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...