Friday, July 11, 2014

REVIEW: With the Band (Luminescent Juliet #3) by Jean Haus

When they get an offer to join a national tour, the musicians of Luminescent Juliet finally find their ticket to fame. But for Sam, the band's dazzling but troubled bassist, making sure his past stays locked away feels more important than winning the spotlight.

Then Peyton, a budding music journalist, joins the tour, tasked with chronicling the band's every move. She and Sam have a history, one that has made them enemies. Neither wants to deal with old pain and misunderstanding, and they agree to keep the past in the past. This is more than fine with Peyton?after all, it?ll only help reassure her picture-perfect boyfriend back on campus that following the band is all totally professional.

Yet being forced to look at Sam in a new way brings Peyton a different perspective on the past?and his magnetic baby-blues and rippling muscles are hard to ignore. When the tour kicks into high gear, the real truth about their shared past comes to light, and Peyton is rocked by forces as passionate and chaotic as the music she loves.

This book is intended for mature teen audiences due to strong language and some sexual content.




My Thoughts:

I watch the guys onstage while music at megawatt volume vibrates in my rib cage. It’s loud, it’s in my face, and I love it. This is my sunny day. Sleeping in. Chasing butterflies. Making snow angels. Riding a roller coaster. The live music is all awesome things rolled into one.

I want to be With the Band. I want to trade places with Peyton. I want that experience of travelling across the country, taking in the sights, and having a front row seat to watch an up and coming indie band perform and work hard for their dreams. And I swear, I won't complain once about being on a tour bus for days on end with a group of hormonal, sweaty, guys. Well, at least not much!

I do have to admit that Peyton frustrated me at times. She tended to run instead of face her feelings. She would sway one way, and then sway back the other. I don't know how many times I wanted to shout at her to just stop for a minute and take a look at what was in front of her. But then it was me that I was getting frustrated with for expecting something different, because her past has made her that girl that runs. She's been hurt and humiliated by someone that she thought loved her and cared about her. It's never easy to get over something like that.
“We’re hardly friends, you and me,” I snarl.
“Friends?” he repeats, ignoring my anger. 
 "We’re friends, Peyton. I care about you. You seem to care about me.” 
 “But as far as being 'hardly friends'... maybe you’re right. I don’t want to f**k my friends.” 

Sam... Sweet, loving, caring, broken Sam. Hot and incredibly sexy Sam! His imperfections are, for me, what makes him perfect. He broke my heart!! This loss and pain that he's feeling. The responsibilities. I loved him completely. When you've got Sam in your life, you can rest assured that you will always have his love, care and loyalty. Even when things were at there most rocky between him and Peyton, he would drop everything if he thought for a minute that she needed him. But he could also be so flirty and fun.

The attraction between Sam and Peyton was undeniable. Right from the very start is was simmering there in the background just waiting to jump up and take a hold. Their time together was filled with angst, bickering and misunderstandings. But it also had so many fun and sweet moments.

I also really enjoyed the presence of the rest of the band. I can't say that I've been a huge fan of Gabe, but by the end of this book I was really starting to see his charm coming through, and I can't wait to get to know him better in the future.

I'm sure you all know by now how much I love Jean Haus and her writing. She gets me, and what I like. She knows how to deliver a great storyline. Her leading men are always deliciously swoony. But it's that her stories seem to carry a deeper meaning. We all like those books that we can just sit and read and not have to think too much about. They are our escape. But more often that not, I want something that gives me a little bit more. With Jean Haus, I get more. It's that depth that will have me always coming back time and again. 

I've said it before in my reviews, that I'm finding the New Adult reads that I pick up lately, a little bit predictable. There are a few authors who I find manage to get it right each time, and one of them is this author. As with all books written by Jean Haus, I read it in one sitting. Her books have come to represent the meaning of unputdownable. And this series is right up there amongst my absolute favourites!! I'm just sorry that it took me so long to get to it!!

With so many books out there at the moment that centre around music, this is one series that I cannot recommend highly enough! 



5/5 Gorgeous, Sam Stars.

Thank you so much to the wonderful author Jean Haus for providing me with the stunning paperback copy for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...