Thursday, August 28, 2014

REVIEW: Fool Me Twice (If Only . . . #1) by Mandy Hubbard


Last summer, Mackenzie and Landon were the perfect couple. And then he dumped her and broke her heart. Fast-forward a year and they’re back at their summer jobs at Serenity Ranch and Spa with Mack and her best friend Bailey, spending their time fantasising about making voodoo dolls and playing childish pranks on Landon.

Luckily for Mack, the perfect opportunity presents itself. Landon takes a nasty fall and suddenly he’s stuck in the past – literally. His most recent memory is of last summer, when they were together, so now he’s calling Mack pet names and hanging all over her. 

The plan is simple: keep Landon at arm’s length, manipulate him so he’s the one falling in love, and then, BAM, dump him in the most epic revenge plot in the history of everdom. There’s only one teensy problem: Mack can’t fall for Landon a second time.




My Thoughts:  

What's that saying?
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice...

Sometimes when life is throwing you all kinds of realities, you just need to get lost and bury yourself in a book that is a huge jump from those realities, makes you feel good and provides a whole lot of laughs. When I first read the synopsis for this book I knew that it was going to supply me with just what I needed.

Mackenzie and Landon had spent a perfect summer together. Spending time getting to know each other, and falling in love. But then on the first day back at school, Mack is confronted with the very real sight of Landon lip locking it with his ex. Mack is heartbroken and It's been torture seeing them together. Then summer rolls around again and Mack and Landon will be forced to work closely together at Serenity Ranch and Spa. Mackenzie certainly can't see serenity when she thinks about that scenario.

But then Landon takes a fall from his horse and is under the impression that him and Mack are still together. So with the help of her best friend, Bailey, Mack sets out to exact her revenge. But the more time that her and Landon spend together, the easier it is to forget about revenge and remember all the reasons she fell in love in the first place.

"You don't get it. Now you can totally screw him."
"Ohmygod, Bailey!" I say, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her lightly. "Im not going to have sex with him!."
"Not screw him." She laughs in a way that makes me feel dumb. and then pulls my hands off of her shoulders. "Screw with him."

Fool Me Twice was so much fun to read. It was light and fluffy and fun from start to finish. The pranks that Mack and Bailey play on Landon where hilarious as they escalated throughout the story. And Landon managed to get some revenge of his own. The race was on to see who could best the other with their high jinx. All set against the backdrop of a ranch, with beautiful sunsets and horse riding.

I loved Mack. I loved her sense of style and fun. I loved the discoveries and realisations that she made about herself. I loved her friendship with Bailey. I loved her ability to forgive. Now Landon was a different story. After the first few chapters I was convinced that there was no way that I was going to love Landon. No way in hell. Not after the way he dumped Mack. But guess what? Mandy Hubbard made me love him.  I just couldn't help it. 

Fool Me Twice is not without it's issues. The lack of medical assistance given to Landon after his fall and memory loss was probably the main one. But hey, this was my escape from reality, so I can live with that. And even though I was pretty sure I knew how this story was going to end, it in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the story and the situations that the characters found themselves in. 
Fool Me Twice was fun, quick and romantic, and a nice step away from my cold winter days. Thank you Bloomsbury Australia for the opportunity to read and review.

4/5 Just What I Needed Stars

1 comment:

  1. I love contemporaries that are fluffy and light and fun. I think I would really enjoy this one. Sometimes you just need a break from reality, something light. As great as sad contemporaries are, they are so draining. Great review, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...